Tel：+86-027-87207098 Whatsapp : +8613147107278 E-mail：firstname.lastname@example.org
Address：No.1905,#9, Guanggu International Headquarter, No. 62, Guanggu Ave., Wuhan,Hubei,China
Differences between Hard and Soft Gelatin Capsules
The differences in between soft and hard gelatin capsules are:
1. Hard gelatin capsules are available in different sizes like size 5, size 4, size 3, size 2, size 1, size 0 etc whereas these sizes are not applicable for soft gelatin capsules.
2. The consumption of plasticizers and gelatin are higher in manufacturing of soft gelatin capsules as compared to hard gelatin capsules.
3. Disintegration time of soft gelatin capsules are more as compared to hard gelatin capsules.
4. Hard gelatin capsules can not deal with oily preparations, liquid preparations, semi-solid preparations where as soft gelatin can easily encapsulate oily, liquid, semi-solid preparations.
5. Medicament Filling procedure is more complex in soft gelatin capsules as compared to hard gelatin capsules.
6. Soft gelatin capsules, also called as soft-gels are sealed hermetically as 1-piece capsules that contain a semi-solid or liquid fill, whereas hard gelatin capsules shell consists of two parts namely a body and a cap.
7. Hard gelatin capsules are cylindrical in shape while soft gelatin capsules are available in round, oval and tube-like shapes.
8. Soft gelatin contains gelatin, plasticizers, preservatives, colouring agents, sugars, flavouring agents, and opacifying agents, whereas hard gelatin capsules are prepared from gelatin, titanium dioxide, colouring agents and plasticizers.
9. The ratio of plasticizer and gelatin is more in a soft gelatin capsule (0.8 : 1) than in hard gelatin capsule (0.4 : 1).
10. Hard gelatin capsules are sealed after they are filled to ensure that the medicines do not come out of the capsule due to rough handling. Filling and sealing of soft gelatin capsules are done in a combined operation on machines.
How to choose gelatin capsule?